.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} < link rel="DCTERMS.replaces" href="http://www.publiusforum.com/illini/illinialliance_main.html" >



Digg!

Thursday, June 16, 2005

 

Our Newest Op Ed

Sorry Liberals. Being Arrogant Does Not Make You Right
- By Justin Darr


Back during the Presidential Election, Kerry enthusiasts were constantly gushing over the perceived intelligence of John Kerry. If it was not praises toward his "nuanced" approaches of how to creatively surrender to the United Nations and international terrorists then it was how all of his aides had to run around carrying dictionaries just so they could understand his "big words." Well, the truth is out. Eight months after everyone quit caring about John Kerry's records, he has finally released them to "The Boston Globe." Chance of chances, these records show that Senator Kerry was a "C" student with a virtually identical grade average as the stuttering, slack jawed, ignoramus George W. Bush. And, Kerry's aides needed dictionaries to understand him? Suddenly it is much easier to understand why Kerry ran such an inept campaign and how they thought voting for the $87 billion before he voted against it made any sense. Kerry chose to surround himself with die hard liberals who made the congenital mistake of all liberals by assuming that arrogance equaled intelligence and being right.

Arrogance is as much a part of liberalism as feathers are to being birds. In 2004, while under fire for the lack of intellectual diversity in the Philosophy Department at Duke University, department chair Robert Brandon misquoted John Stewart Mill and stated that conservatives were disproportionately stupid, and therefore underrepresented in academia. Being one of the intellectual elite, Professor Brandon must be well aware of the need to have supporting evidence for such and outrageous statement. And, what might that evidence be? Certainly not any quantitative facts. .............
Click HERE To Read On
Comments:
I read your piece on liberal 'arrogance.' I'd probably classify myself as a left-leaning moderate because many many things the far left do annoy me to no-end, but I know that I'll just never side with the right in this country.


Having said that, I think your piece is probably acurate aimed at some, but you are describing human traits as political traits and I think that misses the target you mean to hit.

Last night I watched the Pistons play the Spurs and I'm admittedly rooting for San Antonio to win, though I'm a Dallas Mavs fan. Anytime a close call went against the Spurs, the thought just rushes through my head that the refs have it in for my team and that they just don't know what they're doing. When a call goes for the Spurs, I think they deserve it and the refs 'finally got one right.' At the end of the game, I think the fouls were close to even. Were I looking at the game objectively, I probably would have noticed that the refs were actually just bad and both teams got shafted. But I watch it with my bias and that paints everything because I want my team to win.

I use that example because you seem to look at the left and see only traits you don't like. I look at the right and I see many traits I find repugnant. I see morally superior, self ritcheous, and judgmental attitudes towards the rest of the country.

Is there a liberal 'intellectual elite' in this country? Definitely yes. Is there a 'moral-elite' in this country? Definitely yes. I'm not a blogger, so I won't hunt down a bunch of quotes, but I think my point is still hard to dispute.

I, as a liberal, and tired of being made to feel that I'm morally inferior to Republicans when I am a decent, hard-working, productive member of society just because I wasn't raised with their exact set of values.

I saw a bumper sticker yesterday that said, "U can't B Christian and Pro-Choice." You don't call that arrogant? That basically says, "I'm more christian than you." How presumptious can someone be?!?! For all I know, the guy driving the car is an ex-con.

Look to the right. You'll see just as much narrow-mindedness because what you are describing are human traits, not political traits.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home






Ring of Conservative Sites Ring of Conservative Sites
JOIN!

[ Prev | Skip Prev | Prev 5 | List |
Rand | Next 5 | Skip Next | Next ]

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?