.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} < link rel="DCTERMS.replaces" href="http://www.publiusforum.com/illini/illinialliance_main.html" >



Digg!

Sunday, October 02, 2005

 

Our Newest Op Ed

Common Sense (You Bet Your Life)
- By R.A. Hawkins


--Publius Editor's note- Welcome back R.A. We are glad you made it through Katrina and Rita so well--

Two weeks ago I said I was going to write an article on the moral imperative of being prepared. Of course I didn't get to write that article because somebody knocked a tree into the phone line and there was no way to get online for another two weeks. We lost power again because of hurricane Rita and we were right back to where we had started out. Fortunately we had gotten to where we were pretty comfortable there. I had already stored several hundred gallons of water. I always keep the tanks topped off and ready no matter what time of year it is.

On the morning when the power went out for the first time during hurricane Katrina and as the winds began to die down, which was about two hours before the storm had officially left the area, I put on the helmet and Kevlar vest and went out to cut the trees that were now lying across our driveway. Once that was complete I got everything out of the shed that I had put away for such a situation. I had the usual hand crank/solar powered radio. We got that started charging right off the bat. I should have done that earlier but we got by on hand crank for the first day. We had what used to be known in cub scouts as buddy burners and a stove to use them with. All they are is cardboard in a tuna can with wax in them to burn. That was how we cooked.b..............
Click HERE To Read On
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home






Ring of Conservative Sites Ring of Conservative Sites
JOIN!

[ Prev | Skip Prev | Prev 5 | List |
Rand | Next 5 | Skip Next | Next ]

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?