.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} < link rel="DCTERMS.replaces" href="http://www.publiusforum.com/illini/illinialliance_main.html" >



Digg!

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

 

A Slice of Corporate Culture



I ran across an interesting example of blind corporate control today.

So, I went to a Barnes and Noble bookstore and was walking past the "Current Affairs" section, a section I frequent, but do not usually buy from.

And I see a book that I want to buy, but it is OBVIOUSLY in the wrong section.

The book is called "The House" by Robert V. Remini and it is about the history of the U.S. House of representatives. Now this book OBVIOUSLY belongs in the history section, not the current affairs section.

So, as I am buying the book, I ask the checkout person why it is in the wrong section. He looks it up on the computer and says, "Yep, New York says it should be in Current Affairs", as if that is a REAL answer to my question!

So, because "New York" (their main office) says so, a book that should be in the history section is placed INCORRECTLY in a section about current affairs! No independent thinking, no realization that the New York office just made a mistake, no sense. Just blind adherence to what the main office says.

So if the New York office told them to jump off the Brooklyn Bridge, would they find a map to that bridge in the Archaeology section?

... Only if the New York office says so, I guess!
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home






Ring of Conservative Sites Ring of Conservative Sites
JOIN!

[ Prev | Skip Prev | Prev 5 | List |
Rand | Next 5 | Skip Next | Next ]

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?