Thursday, August 17, 2006
One Step Closer for N. Orleans 2nd Amendment Supporters
We have a bit of good news on the 2nd Amendment front today...
"(CNSNews.com) - A federal judge on Wednesday rejected an attempt to dismiss a Second Amendment lawsuit against the City of New Orleans."
This means that the city has been told that they cannot arbitrarily have dismissed a lawsuit brought against them by the National Rifle Association and the 2nd Amendment Foundation seeking to chastise the government for having confiscated guns from New Orleans' citizens in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina.
"We're encouraged by this latest ruling," said SAF founder Alan Gottlieb. "For almost a year, we've been fighting the city's delay tactics, which included outright lying by city officials that any firearms had been seized.
"Only when we threatened Mayor Nagin and Superintendent Riley with a motion for contempt did the city miraculously discover that they actually did have more than 1,000 firearms that had been taken from their owners."
Because of this action some states already passed laws that would outlaw the confiscation of legal guns in time of crisis. But, this lawsuit against New Orleans is important in that it could set the precedent that it is truly illegal for a government to stormtroop across the landscape confiscating gun legally owned by 2nd Amendment abiding citizens.
But, this isn't the final battle in this. Now we can see this case proceed to the "discover phase". It could still end up a loss for Constitutional rights. But, at least it must continue and will not merely be thrown out of court.