.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} < link rel="DCTERMS.replaces" href="http://www.publiusforum.com/illini/illinialliance_main.html" >



Digg!

Friday, November 10, 2006

 

Understanding the Paleoconservative Perspective on Life

-By Dr. Dan Phillips

During my years of reading paleoconservative books and magazines and visiting paleoconservative websites, it became obvious to me that paleocons are very critical of the modern pro-life movement. Since paleocons are almost universally pro-life, this criticism always baffled me. Because many paleocons "convert" to that orientation from more "mainstream" conservatism, as I did, I suspect I am not the only one who has been troubled by this. But as I have studied the paleoconservative perspective and begun to understand it, as it has become more second nature to me, I believe I now better appreciate the paleo criticism. Perhaps my intellectual journey can help enlighten others.

First, let me make it absolutely clear that I believe the pro-life movement has the noblest intentions of any movement in politics. Most interest groups, whether right or wrong, are ultimately in it for some sort of self-interest. Farmers lobby for continued and increased farm subsidies. Businesses lobby for favorable tax and regulatory policy. Pensioners lobby to maintain and increase benefits, but pro-life activists have no personal stake in saving the unborn. They are not in it for their own sake but for the sake of a voiceless other. Anti-religion (especially anti-Christian) bigots who claim pro-lifers are in it to "keep women down" or "cram their religion down other people's throats" hardly merit a rebuttal. Even liberals who disagree should acknowledge the noble motives of pro-lifers.............
Click HERE To Read On
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home






Ring of Conservative Sites Ring of Conservative Sites
JOIN!

[ Prev | Skip Prev | Prev 5 | List |
Rand | Next 5 | Skip Next | Next ]

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?